Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Jun 2 20:41:47 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 10:13 AM, GeeKer Wang wrote:
> Hello, guys,
>      I used preupgrade to upgrade  fc14 to fc15, and everything seemed
> fine. But when I reboot, I just find that kernel-fc15 is not installed.

I can't tell from what you written above, but, pre-upgrade is a multi
step process.  Here are the steps in a nut-shell:

1) run preupgrade and have it download packages to a local repository on
your machine.  It should also modify your /etc/grub.conf file to add an
entry which will continue the upgrade in step 2.  When this step
completes, it should ask you to reboot your computer.

2) when you reboot, it should automatically select the F15 upgrade entry
and boot into the second stage installer and start installing the
downloaded packages on to your system.  This is the step that fails for
many people.  Places to look for problems are in /etc/grub.conf and in
/boot/upgrade/.  In the latter you should have at least 3 files:
initrd.img, ks.cfg, and vmlinuz.  If not, something else has gone wrong
for you to look into.  If everything goes right, when the packages are
finished installing (and yet another change is made to your
/etc/grub.conf file), the system will reboot yet again....

3) The final reboot will run a script called firstboot which should
clean up from the upgrade process, and remove the old kernel versions
from your system.  It will also check to make sure that any new packages
are configured properly (or prompt you for their configuration)
so that F15 will run correctly for you upon subsequent reboots.  If you
get this far, preupgrade has done its job correctly and you should be
all set.

> There are no vmlinuz-xxx.fc15.i686 and initramfs-xxxx-fc15.i686.img in
> /boot, no entry about fc-15 written in grub.conf, and nothing related to
> fc15 is found in /lib/modules.
>
> I just try to download kernel and install it manually. But I don't know
> whether there are any other packages forgotten.

What does "rpm -qa | grep fc15" tell you?  (there should be *lots* of hits).

If it can't find any fc15 packages installed, you haven't upgraded yet.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net