Not enough info, so no point

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 3 04:02:46 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 04:51 AM, JD wrote:
> On 06/02/11 19:44, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> On 05/31/2011 06:24 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> For my PC
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 update fails
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>>>
>>> All fail to finish initialising hardware.
>>>
>>> smolt page :
>>> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9
>>>
>>> Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon
>>>
>>> I provide this information reluctantly based on my previous experience
>>> posting to this community, which laughingly suggests it provides
>>> assistance, encouragement, and advice.
>> Well I've now tried to install Fedora 15 to a separate partition as follows:
>>

>> 1   Boot from a Fedora 14 installation disk
>>
>> 2   Change repositories config to point to Fedora 15
>>
>> 3   Run install
> To me, that sounds like a very strange, to say the least.
> Since you are running the F14 anaconda, and then you point
> it to F15 repos, then at some point anaconda might look for
> something that it expects to exist in the installed system
> (since anaconda's scripts could very well be custom made
> for the specific release), and it will not find it and crash.
> Once such thing might very well be a library, a specific
> library version, for a program that anaconda will execute,
> on the premise that the program will find it's library already
> installed, but the program crashes, because F15 does not
> install that library.
> I am only making this conjecture as a possible reason why anaconda
> crashed. What you did is certainly interesting, but obviously
> not the way to go.
>> 4   Anaconda fails after installing all RPMs
>>

>> I've also configured the Fedora 14 so I can mount the Fedora 15 root LVM
>>

>> Unfortunately I still seem to be getting an error as described earlier
>> for Fedora 15 Live KDE CD
>>
> doing chroot to f15 from f14 does not alter the booted kernel, which is F14.
> Thus while chrooted in F15, and you try, for example, to modprobe
> some module, like a graphics module, such as
> modprobe radeon
> Well, modprobe will look in /lib/modules/RELEASE within the
> chroot environent (where RELEASE will be the F15 kernel release version).
> And it will try to insert that module into the running kernel which is
> an F14 kernel.
> The attempt will fail because of version mismatch.
>> Does anyone know how to change Fedora 15 to force it to use the vesa
>> graphics drivers? I suspect how it's done has changed for Fedora 15.
> I do not know what the param name is for Fedora,
> but on ububtu, the param name is xmodule, so you
> set it by appending xmodule=vesa If it is the same
> for F15, then If you boot F15 directly,  you could
> edit the boot menu (press e, then down-arrow,
> press e again and append to end of the line: xmodule=vesa
> then press enter then press b to boot.
>
> However, I thought that all this is totally unnecessary because
> [...]
You are right about the video driver, and I did manage to change it to
no effect anyway.

Just another bit of information it fails after trying iSCSI bus reset a
couple of times before disabling something because it failed to recover,
then the next bus reset causes the core dump and halt

Unfortunately I could find no other way of installing Fedora 15 natively
as the DVD would not start up properly. I'll see if I can report what
the Fedora 15 install/rescue DVD errors are.