Fedora 15 Classic gnome option

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jun 3 09:46:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 06:49:45PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 08:35 +1000, Nathan Delboux wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the Classic Gnome would become an option to use if
> > we don't like Gnome 3? or are just used to Gnome classic?
> >
> > I'm all for change and don't really mind which way that Fedora heads
> > but i heard Ubuntu may have it an option with their Unity interface.
> > Good to keep the options open
>

> You're not likely to get much traction for this. The GNOME team doesn't
> really want to continue supporting the 2.x line. You'll get some bugfix
> support for it if you're running RHEL or its clones, but I highly doubt
> that anyone is going to be sufficiently interested to maintain a
> complete desktop environment that's abandoned by its upstream.

Sorry?

We have GNOME fallback in 3.x. The GNOME panel appearance has been
changed to match the way GNOME shell looks, but 1) you can change that
and 2) it is maintained. Due to all the platform changes, a few applets
weren't ported in 3.0, but there will be more applets in 3.2.

A lot of work has gone into GNOME panel and GNOME applets, totally
opposite from being abandoned.
--
Regards,
Olav