Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jun 3 12:19:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:57:18AM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 05:39 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> ings.
> >
> > Ideally extensions should be made available on an addons site similar to
> > what Firefox has. Then the timing problems becomes slightly less of an
> > issue.
> > Nothing like that is available at this moment though (help welcome:).
> >
> > At the moment an extension specifies which GNOME shell version it will
> > work with. If a new GNOME shell version is released, all extensions need
> > to be updated with that new version number. But timing is an issue
> > anyway. The solution is to make it easy to distribute new extensions.
>

>   I don't agree - I think the right solution is that extensions vie to
> be accepted as part of Gnome Core - otherwise its a losing battle.

Extensions are maintained by various people. Further, they're called
extensions, they're not part of GNOME because for some reason they
weren't wanted.

Arguing that extensions should be part of GNOME shell wouldn't make them
extensions anymore.

Could you explain why instead of allowing anyone to write extensions,
you want to limit it to the ones with a GNOME Git account? In practice
it'll end up being just the one gnome-shell-extension maintainer? It
does not make sense to me.

>   Second best would be an official yum repository (dont see how this
> works across distros tho)

Feel free to set something up, but, well, that is what I suggested with
the addons site. I don't see how it is suddenly acceptable when it is a
yum repository instead of something which works for all distributions.

>   Noone should rely on this and find after a yum update that things
> break - thats just crap design - sorry.

I agree it is not nice. Still, Firefox works exactly the same.
--
Regards,
Olav