Not enough info, so no point

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:30:56 UTC 2011

On 06/03/11 09:46, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 05:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> JD writes:
>>
>>> A user process (such as yum), even with root privs,
>>> CANNOT JUMP OUT OF THE BOUNDARIES OF IT'S ROOT,
>>> NAMELY (for example) /mnt/f15
>> Umm, that's not true. The chroot(2) man page has a nice explanation of
>> how a root userid can trivially escape a chroot jail.
>>
>>> So there is no danger that yum executed within a chrooted environment
>>> will affect the enclosing host's yum database (in this case F14).
>> Nope, that's definitely possible.
>>
> My caution maybe well founded, so I will have to do some experimenting
> first.
>
> Thanks for the feedback folks.

No it is NOT.
We are not asking you to write a program that uses
chroot(2) system call and then do some thing as the man page
for the system call depicts, compile it and run it.

The chroot(1) user command does no make such exploits
at all and has been safely used to put processes in jail for
many many years. AFAIK no one has shown that chroot(1)
command allows the subsequently forked and chrooted shell
and it's children (user commands like yum)
to jump out of the boundaries of jail (in your case /mnt/f15).

This is the problem with listening to such posts as from
the OP who posted the message about chroot(2).