Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Jun 3 18:44:36 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:19 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> I agree it is not nice. Still, Firefox works exactly the same.

Not quite.  The addon site is run by Mozilla itself, there's at least a
semblance of quality control (New addons are marked "experimental" and
are only downloadable if you have an account there, and after
acknowledging that you know they've not been properly tested.) and
Firefox can be set to check for updates and download them for you.  I
may be a bit unfair here, but I personally find it hard to imagine Gnome
doing the same thing.  It's not that they're unwilling to help the
community (If that were true, they wouldn't be working on Gnome in the
first place, would they?) it's more that I don't think they'd feel any
responsibility, preferring to leave the effort either to some third
party or to the various distros.  Still, if there were a central site
for Gnome3 extensions that was worthy of trust, it would be a Good Thing.