Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat Jun 4 00:09:19 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:56 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> Only the site. The addons itself are made by various developers.
>>

> Of course.  I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I'm sure that any
> central site for Gnome 3 extensions would work the same way, and having
> it either be run by the people responsible for Gnome or even being a
> sub-domain of gnome.org, such as extensions.gnome.org, would probably be
> best.  And, of course, that would make it easier for Gnome to take the
> best and/or most popular extensions and fold them into Gnome itself if
> that's the way they wanted to go.

 I still don't see how this prevents a yum update to newer gnome
packages allowing some extensions to fail - where is the connection that
prevents breakage?

 Unless the gnome updates are synchronous with the extensions or all
API/ABI used by extensions are guaranteed immutable the risk exists ..
and has in fact already happened.

 But, as I said a while back - if you're ok taking the risk something
you want/need/depend on may not work after an update .. fine ... I'm a
risk taker .. are you?