Massively parallel (8 to 10 stream) music server/generator ?

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Sat Jun 4 11:57:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 07:47 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'd like to build a server that generates music for each of the zones.
> I'm thinking that it would serve web pages that would allow users to
> select various music material and direct it to one or more zones via any
> device that supports a web browser.
>
> On the hardware end of things, I'm thinking one could use 1 USB sound
> card plus an amplifier for each zone.
>
> How many USB sound cards could a single i5 ish PC running linux in
> console mode feed ?  (MP3, wav, flac formats)
>
> Sometimes one will want to play the same music simultaneously across
> multiple zones.   Ie, during dinner, one might want to play music in the
> kitchen and the dinning room.   Is there a way to sync playback between
> multiple USB sound cards ?
>
> Is there a better way to generate music for this house ?

Check out LinuxMCE.  It'll do a lot more than just pump music out to
your various zones. That's what I'm going to deploy.

I'd offer more details here, but I think you'd be better off reading the
site and trolling the forums.  When you're ready, get a forum account
and start asking questions - lots of people willing to help!

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux