Preupgrade still sucks. Maybe sucks less, maybe sucks more.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 4 12:56:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:33:50 +0100,
  Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> As a matter of interest, what exactly is _the_ yum upgrade method?
> I've seen the term used by several people,
> but as far as I can see they refer to different methods.

yum update --releasever=f??

> And don't all upgrade methods use yum in some way?

No exactly. Preupgrade downloads some stuf for and I think does a more
robust rebuild of the boot images. (Sometimes it hasn't been possible to build
the initrd for a new release while running under the old kernel.)

I believe anaconda (I'm don't know about preupgrade) does the updates in a
way that they aren't blocked by (some) dependencies. This is especially
relevant if you use third party repos.