OpenOffice and Fedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jun 4 13:07:41 UTC 2011

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 13:05:47 -0400,
>    Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>  wrote:
>
>> It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as was originally
>> thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the support of Oracle and IBM,
>> as well as others.
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03
>>
> Apache hasn't officially accepted the project yet. That is a multistep process
> and is just getting started.

Noted, and thanks for clarifying that. The link below seems to indicate
that Apache is in favor of this, and I'm sure Oracle didn't just "toss
this over the wall" without checking to see if Apache was receptive to
accepting the project.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/apache-president-jim-jagielski-talks-openoffice-org?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2011-06-03

Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make the point that
having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the progress of
either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I suspect it will.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have