Protected WLAN

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 4 14:15:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 17:45:53 -0700,
  James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cryptographic algorithms and making their internal workings public.
> BTW, there are TWO versions of PGP, one that uses the still patented RSA
> front end and the other uses IDEA.  Guess which one is stronger and

RSA is used for public key support. IDEA was used for encrypting the
payload. IDEA is patented and the patent will be running out real soon now.
The RSA patents have already expired.

> costs money to use and is ILLEGAL to export outside of the United
> States?  That is why I LOVE the ability to bring things into the United

Neither is illegal to export (except to a few countries the US wants to
punish) as long as you follow the rules. You can also write it as a book
and publish the book, which is what was done. DJB also got some rulings
on whether the restrictions on publishing encryption algorithms was
something that could be restricted. The US government kept trying to drag
things out, and ended up saying DJB wouldn't be prosecuted so that the
case would be declared moot in order to avoid an unfavorable ruling by
the supreme court. So if you don't want to follow the rules, in the end
you would likely still win on free speech grounds, but it might cost
you a lot of money and some jail time if you publish before going to
court.