Does gnome3 network config support wpad

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jun 4 15:08:48 UTC 2011

I have wpad set up on my lan. With Firefox configured to "autodetect" proxy
settings, it picks up and uses my proxy settings correctly.

Telling Firefox to use "system" setting does not pick up the correct proxy
settings. But in system settings, proxy is set to "automatic", with no url
given, so as indicated this should result in wpad getting used. The proxy
test tool, from libbproxy-bin, also fails to pick up wpad settings,
returning a direct connection for any url.

I suspect that this is because I do not run NetworkManager (and get the
resulting whine from the system settings network screen). My network
interface is bridged with a VM virtual network, because of that the network
interface is not managed by NetworkManager; and when it starts up without
any networks to manage, this results in Firefox always coming up in offline
mode. For that reason, I have to keep NetworkManager off. Always having
Firefox start in offline mode is annoying. But I suspect that this results
in gnome not bothering to check for a wpad script. Is my suspicion correct,
if so is there a way around it.