OpenOffice and Fedora

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 15:35:55 UTC 2011

> >> It seems that the future of OO is not so bleak as
> was originally
> >> thought. OO is now handed to Apache, with the
> support of Oracle and IBM,
> >> as well as others.
> >>
> >> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/060211-faq-whats-the-future-of.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2011-06-03
> >>
> > Apache hasn't officially accepted the project yet.
> That is a multistep process
> > and is just getting started.
> >

> Noted, and thanks for clarifying that. The link below seems
> to indicate
> that Apache is in favor of this, and I'm sure Oracle didn't
> just "toss
> this over the wall" without checking to see if Apache was
> receptive to
> accepting the project.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/community/apache-president-jim-jagielski-talks-openoffice-org?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2011-06-03
>
> Clearly this is a developing story, I just wanted to make
> the point that
> having two projects may thin the resources and reduce the
> progress of
> either. I'd like to believe that won't happen, but I
> suspect it will.
>
> --

We hopefully still have gnumeric and abiword :)  They are still developed and maintained.

I try to make sense of why things went that way, but ORACLE is a for profit company and it did not want to hand over the code/resources to LibO foundation so they wanted to keep it alive and gave it over to Apache which uses a different license and code can be proprietary again and IBM and others step in and build their code and see how they can make profit in the end.

No one gives something for free, they want something back in return and this is what is happening here :(

But I get your point, it seems to many that the main reason is that Oracle does not want to give away what it bought from Sun and this way it keeps the code churning and moving .

Regards,

Antonio