Partition does not end on cylinder boundary

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:54:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 09:02:48 -0700
JD wrote:

>  What tool did you use to create the partition in the first place.
> I thought that fdisk, sfdisk and gparted always round up (or down)
> to end of cylinder.

Over the years, I have used lots of different partitioning
tools, and one thing I have found is that every one of them
"just knows" the rules that ought to be applied to partitions
to put them on the "right" boundaries, and every one of those
tools has different rules and screams and hollers about the
partitioning generated any of the other tools :-).

Every once in a while, I have tried to search for some
definitive statement of what the rules really are, and
I've never found one.