CUPS service not starting after upgrade to F15

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 19:18:05 UTC 2011

Clyde: cupsd -f is supposed to hang :)

Remember, cupsd is a daemon that usually sits in the background doing
nothing until it is time to print. Anytime it wants to say something it
either talks to the client, the printer or writes it on any of its three
logs (access, error, page).

When you start cupsd with the "-f" option, you are forcing it into the
"foreground", meaning that any message it sends is written to the console
where it is invoked from in addition to its normal working.

Therefore if you run cupsd -f, the expectation is that it will just sit
there and do nothing and you would have to press CTRL-C to stop it.

In a few words, given that cupsd -f did not complain, and that systemctl
start cups.service is working fine, I think you no longer have any problem
with cups. Congratulations

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net>wrote:

> On 06/03/2011 11:50 AM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 11:09 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> >> Just tried it and still failing. Should something else be updated
> >> besides cups?
> >
> > What output do you get if you first stop cups, then run "cupsd -f" as
> > root from the command line?
> >
> > Tim.
> > */
> >

> cupsd -f just hangs.  Have to ctrl-c out. Can start with systemctl start
> cups.service
>
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.38.7-30.fc15.x86_64
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ dmesg | grep -i fail
> [    3.757734] failed to evaluate ATIF got AE_BAD_PARAMETER
> [   39.544143] dbus[1447]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for
> unit 'dbus-org.bluez.service': Unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to
> load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status'
> for details.
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ systemctl status cups.service
> cups.service - LSB: The CUPS scheduler
>          Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups)
>           Active: failed since Sat, 04 Jun 2011 07:17:37 -0400; 1min 27s
> ago
>         Process: 1650 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups start (code=exited,
> status=1/FAILURE)
>          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ sudo systemctl stop cups.service
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ sudo cupsd -f
> ^C
> [kunkelc at P5K-EWIFI ~]$ su -
> Password:
> [root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# cupsd -f
> ^C
> [root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# systemctl start cups.service
> [root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# systemctl status cups.service
> cups.service - LSB: The CUPS scheduler
>          Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups)
>           Active: active (running) since Sat, 04 Jun 2011 07:37:52 -0400;
> 14s ago
>         Process: 2886 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups start (code=exited,
> status=0/SUCCESS)
>        Main PID: 2893 (cupsd)
>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
>                   └ 2893 cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> [root at P5K-EWIFI ~]# rpm -q cups
> cups-1.4.6-19.fc15.x86_64
>

> --