Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 02:49:05 UTC 2011

On 06/05/2011 07:46 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/04/2011 05:16 PM, H Xu wrote:
>> I didn't use PackageKit when I was using Fedora 14. Now it seems that I
>> can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling those packages. Is this
>> a package bug? Thanks.

No.  More software components now use PackageKit as a framework.  If you
don't like the GUI,  just remove gnome-packagekit and leave the
framework in place.  repoquery is helpful in figuring out the base
dependencies.

> There are some packages that are listed as dependencies by a large
> number of others, sometimes for no apparent reason.  As an example, try
> removing evolution and see what some of the weird things ym wants to
> take out along with it

Users do something like yum remove evolution\* and then get a huge list
of dependencies and wonder why.  Common mistake.   Evolution can be
removed just fine.  If you are talking about evolution-data-server,  it
is a generic calendar store that originated out of Evolution (hence the
name) but does not have a dependency on Evolution.  It is a very small
package really.

Rahul