Fedora SOHO server

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sun Jun 5 16:08:28 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> That's why I have also decided that I never will purchase an android phone,

Just a side comment--I, also, refuse to give Google my data.  But I run an
Android phone with all-local archiving and backup, using my own mail
server.  You don't have to drink the cool-aid to use the pitcher.

> I would like to pick Fedora 14 and I would like to have together on
> one machine...

Again, and knowing this is the Fedora group, I would suggest you consider
another distribution for a stable server.

Fedora is bleedin' edge.  It doesn't have a long-term support version, and
you're going to be looking at a semi-major evolution in migrating the
system on a production server on a regular basis as new releases come out.
Most of the services you want to run evolve more slowly than that.

Note that I'm *not* saying it won't work, and work well; it's purely a
question of how much time and effort you want to put into maintaining
your production server's up-to-date status.

CentOS isn't as exciting or as current as Fedora, but it is stable and
works well in production.  Even Ubuntu LTS will fill that bill nicely.

You might consider keeping your production server on an LTS distro, and
setting up an experimental box, or running your workstation on Fedora where
you can experiment to your hearts' content.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com