Why is xfconfd running?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:59:39 UTC 2011

I just switched my system to use fedora 15 by default
with my custom X session that runs fvwm and (mostly) saves
me from the incessant changes of gnome and kde.

Almost as soon as I'd started my first login session
I got a popup identifying itself as some xfce program
and telling me updates were available.

Running ps, I find I'm running /usr/lib64/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd,
which I certainly didn't start with any kind of deliberate
action. I find a org.xfce.Xfconf.service file defined
among the /usr/share/dbus-1/services/, but I thought that
stuff only started on request (there are about 90 services
defined in there, and xfconfd is the only one I find running).

Who the devil would have requested that this service start?