Can't uninstall PackageKit without uninstalling gnome-shell, gdm, etc?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 21:14:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:26:26 -0500
Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Are you sure you did not use it? Are you saying you ran yum update
> periodically do the updates? How inefficient.

No, how incredibly less annoying: There is no way to tell
what in the blue blazes PackageKit is doing. The progress
bar looks the same if you have a crappy connection to
the server and you are downloading a 10K update as it does
if you have a wonderful high speed connection and you are
downloading a 100MB update. With yum, you can actually
see what's happening.

And unless you disable the PackageKit notifications, you
find that every single time you try to run yum manually,
you get a message that says PackageKit has it locked already
(I think it waits till it sees you type "yum", then
immediately goes off and checks for updates :-).

Plus, I have better things to do than constantly dismiss
the popups saying, "Hey! There's updates! Don't you
want to install updates! You can't possibly have anything
else to do can you? Why don't you install updates?"