Real benefits of RHEL over Fedora?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:45:23 UTC 2011

On 6/5/11 8:11 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 07:42 PM, Alex wrote:
>> I recall reading that CentOS is having trouble keeping up with the
>> latest RHEL. Is this currently a problem? Any input on whether future
>> updates will be delayed as well?
> CentOS 5.6 was released several months after RHEL 5.6, and CentOS 6
> still hasn't been released.  (RHEL 6.1 was just recently released.)
>
> As they say in the investment business, "past performance is no
> guarantee of future results."  I don't think anyone can really say
> with confidence what the future holds for any of the distributions
> that are derived from RHEL sources.
>
> (For the sake of full disclosure, I do work for Red Hat.  Hopefully,
> everything I've written above is relatively uncontroversial.)

The problem with CentOS updating to RHEL 6.x releases is the amount of
imbedded RH information that they have to remove, by law.  Once that is
complete, there should be a CentOS 6.x release.  I will not blame RedHat
for this, the codebase is different and more files means more stuff to
remove/replace.

BTW, I do work with RHEL 5.5/5.6 at my workplace and we are looking to
move to 6.x as soon as it is approved.

James McKenzie