Real benefits of RHEL over Fedora?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:55:12 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 09:15 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
> The problem with CentOS updating to RHEL 6.x releases is the amount of
> imbedded RH information that they have to remove, by law.  Once that is
> complete, there should be a CentOS 6.x release.  I will not blame RedHat
> for this, the codebase is different and more files means more stuff to
> remove/replace.

I have heard this used as a reason but it doesn't appear to be true.
You can talk to the CentOS or Scientific Linux developers.  This isn't a
major part of their work.  Trademarks and typically just part of
redhat-logos and a few other packages and Red Hat has gone out of their
way over time to make this process easier.  Much of their work is
rebuilding SRPMS  (figuring out what specific version dependencies need
to be in the chroot) and testing it.  They don't replace or remove files
except for maybe a dozen packages.

Rahul