KDE Laggy in Fresh F15

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:12:59 UTC 2011

Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.
>
> KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora
> 14 (with nvidia driver).
>
> The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.

nvidia's driver is historically optimized primarily for opengl, 2d/xrender
not so much.  The latter, is used extensively in kde's default oxygen
style/theming.  you could try switching away from oxygen widget theme, see
if that helps any,
systemsettings->application appearance->style
and choose some widget style other than Oxygen, say Plastique

another stab would be to switch to some plasma theme that uses less or no
translucency,
systemsettings->workspace appearance->Desktop Theme
and choose something other than "Air" or "Oxygen"

-- Rex