What's with systemd?

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:51:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 10:25:16AM -0400, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> On Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:07:35 Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Does:
> >
> > sudo systemctl enable sendmail.service
> >
> > fix it to start on boot?
> >
> > Or:
> >
> > sudo chkconfig sendmail on
> >
> > ?
>
> I did systemctl enable sendmail.service initially tinking that was all
> I needed.  When I noticed that failed at reboot, I did chkconfig
> sendmail on and that didn't help matters.
>
> I see a mail-transfer-agent.target in /lib/systemd/system, but my
> systemd knowledge is lacking.  Should this unit be referenced in
> another unit, say multiuser.target?  Should there be a link to it in
> /usr/lib/systemd/user?
>
> Would systemd.log_level=debug be of any use?

If one looks for dovecot entry through systemctl list-units, one can't
grep it.

The names are strange like, as mentioned, mail-transfer-agent.target.

It was easier earlier to check things through the names of the daemon
programs.

Strangely the output of systemctl list-units, is automatically piped through
, maybe "less" which may cause problems if used in scripts.

Also, why systemctl does not take two dashes for long args. Why are we
breaking away from set pattern of unix semantics & philosophy?

--
vikram...
--
Most people can do without the essentials, but not without the luxuries.