Why F15 has up to 50% worse disk performance than Ubuntu ?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jun 7 12:23:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:18:18 +0000 (UTC)
JB <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora15_v_ubuntu1104&num=1

Insufficient information to even guess.

Disk performance is very sensitive to activity and to location especially
if you have all the system on one disk.

So if they put both OS's on the same disk at once and always put one OS
on the outside of the disc, that would give numbers of that nature.
Equally if Fedora has soem crappy background app that keeps writing
little bits of pointless data to the disk every second that'll do the job
nicely too.

Or it could be the I/O scheduler tunings I guess. Over-aggressive power
management is another possibility.

You'd have to duplicate their results, then work back removing variables
until you found it.

Alan