Colour printing question.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:56:25 UTC 2011

On 03/06/11 00:29, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 03:14 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I have an HP Photosmart 8400 printer which can be accessed from both a linux box
>> and a windows box. When printing the same image from the two boxes the windows
>> print is far superior to the linux print. I have used for testing an image
>> scanned by a flat bed scanner (HP ScanJet 7400c) and the colours from the
>> windows print are very close to the original document. The linux print looks
>> somewhat misty. How can I change the printing software so it will produce more
>> natural colours?
>>
>> HP PhotoSmart 8400 Foomatic/hpijs
>> kernel-2.6.35.12-88.fc14.x86_64
>
> Check printing options to make sure you don't have options like "ink
> saver" and that the DPI is reasonably high.
> If that doesn't help, check if windows driver installed a color profile
> for the printer - you'll want to install it in Fedora, too.

Thanks for replying.

There is no "ink saver" option or the like and DPI is set to 600.
I can't find any colour profile in windows and I don't know where to look for
similar file in Fedora.

However, I find in the printing settings values like Saturation = 100%, Hue
adjustment = 0 and Gamma = 1000. Tweaking these values does change the colour
impression somewhat but I haven't found the "correct" combination. So I assume
I'll have to continue tweaking until I am satisfied. I wish there were a
description on how to.

--
Erik