Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

Ester Muñoz Aparicio memunoz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:31:11 UTC 2011

El 30/05/11 18:52, Robert G. (Doc) Savage escribió:

> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 22:13 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 05/30/2011 09:44 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>>> Frank,
>>>
>>> Will this work on an old 32-bit Thinkpad that's maxed out with 512MB of
>>> RAM? Installing from DVD fails.
>>
>> You can try upgrading piecemeal.  Some major set of packages,  python,
>> then gtk and so on
>
> Rahul,
>
> That's what I was thinking. The roadblock I run into with a conventional
> DVD install/upgrade is:
>
> [    7.076671] Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...

Hey there!

I had the same problem, could not install or upgrade with DVD,
netinstall or preupgrade one Thinkpad R51 with 512 MB RAM.

I did succeed with distro-sync and is working wonderfully (we use XFCE).

First I removed a lot of games, multimedia programs and others (it's my
4 year old's computer) so that I would have as much free space as
possible and then, due to lack of space (still), I installed the
fedora-release package and upgraded a few packages that did not pull
many dependecies, and then distro-synced into Fedora 15 the rest.

Greetings!
Ester
--
Ester Muñoz Aparicio
C/ San Isidro 2 Urb. Altos del Cantal 11 - 04638 - Mojácar (Almería)