Looking for help with packet-chasing ...

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 7 17:36:46 UTC 2011

I'm wondering if there is some program that will tell me
where packets are travelling around my home LAN?

I tried swapping my server to another machine on the LAN
(an HP MicroServer), attaching the ADSL line to the MicroServer.
This worked fine on the MicroServer, with access to the internet, etc.
But I lose the connection from my laptop(s) when I do this.

I guess I need to read a tutorial on route (or perhaps ip?).
I changed
        option routers                  192.168.2.2;
to the new server in /etc/dhcpd.conf (re-starting the dhcpd service)
and changed the old address to the new everywhere I could find it.

The old address is mentioned as "option routers" in some leases files,
but I'm not sure if I can safely delete these?

But I'm wondering if the path taken by packets
is completely determined by the route tables?

Any suggestions for further reading gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net