Real benefits of RHEL over Fedora?

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 03:58:46 UTC 2011

Hi Marko,

>> - Are there improvements made to RHEL beyond what is available in the
>> most stable version of fedora? Does RHEL effectively use the same
>> kernel as some version of fedora? In other words, once the kernel has
>> been time-tested on fedora, doesn't it become the basis for the RHEL
>> kernel? Are there kernel, filesystem, or memory tuning improvements
>> that don't ever appear in fedora?
>
> The kernel version used by RHEL is the kernel version used by Fedora at the
> time of the creation of RHEL release. After that it doesn't change in RHEL,
> and it does in Fedora. That's the story with "stability" --- if you build some

Are you sure about this? I tried some of the specific RHEL suggested
kernel tunables, and they don't work. For example, to use the
"deadline" I/O elevator, you are supposed to be able to do this
(assuming /dev/sda)

# echo “deadline” > /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler

However, the kernel just reports:

elevator: type “deadline” not found

Is it possible the RHEL kernel is better optimized for server
operations than the fedora kernel, which I would think is more geared
towards a desktop?

Perhaps there's a document that shows the features of the RHEL kernel
specifically?

Thanks,
Alex