Why is clamd so hard?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 14:08:41 UTC 2011

> On 08/06/11 11:29, Arthur Dent wrote:
> <snip>
>> No-one here got clamd working with F15?
>>
> http://blog.christophersmart.com/
>
> search for configure-clamd

Thanks for that Frank - although I had already found that script and tried
it with a previous install, I had forgotten about it so I tried it again
just now.

No dice....

I think it may pre-date the current Fedora schema. It also creates a
"clamav" user which the docs say you shouldn't use with clamd (as that
user has access to the DB).

Nevertheless I gave it a go. Here is the output:

=============8<==================================================
# ./configure-clamd.sh

You appear to be running Fedora release 15 (Lovelock), excellent.

Configuring clamd to run as user 'clamav' on port '3310'.

If you do NOT want to proceed, hit CTRL+C within 5 seconds...
5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1..
OK then, proceeding..

Checking for required packages..
Required packages already installed.

Checking for clamav user, 'clamav'..
Created new user.

Configuring clamd to do all the right things..
Configuring log rotation for clamd..
Configuring clamd under syconfig..
Configuring clamd init script..
Configuring freshclam, the clamav updater..
Configuring required directories..
Downloading virus definitions..

ClamAV update process started at Wed Jun  8 14:51:15 2011
Downloading main.cvd [100%]
main.cvd updated (version: 53, sigs: 846214, f-level: 53, builder: sven)
Downloading daily.cvd [100%]
daily.cvd updated (version: 13166, sigs: 126780, f-level: 60, builder:
ccordes)
Downloading bytecode.cvd [100%]
bytecode.cvd updated (version: 143, sigs: 40, f-level: 60, builder: edwin)
Database updated (973034 signatures) from db.uk.clamav.net (IP: 163.1.3.8)

Creating required directories and starting service..
Could not start service, sorry. Continuing.

The clamd service has been successfully installed and configured with:
User 'clamav' on port '3310'.

To update ClamAV definitions, run the 'freshclam' command as user clamav.

Have fun!

=============8<==================================================

Notice the script says everything is OK, but it still fails to start the
clammd service.

If I try manually I get the same problem...

# clamd
ERROR: Can't open/parse the config file /etc/clamd.conf

Any ideas?

Fundamentally the config file is actually in /etc/clamd.d/clamd.conf
(which is where Fedora says it should be now), but it is resolutely
refusing to recognise that location...

Thanks again

Mark