Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Gary Waters linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Wed Jun 8 16:52:05 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 12:04 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 11:51 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Use a different desktop, such as KDE, which works as before.
>>
>> If the switch from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 left the user lost in unfamiliar
>> territory, how is switching to KDE a "solution"?
>>

>    I suspect he simply meant that Gnome 2 to KDE, while it has a smallish
> learning curve, is easier than going to Gnome 3. (At least that was my
> experience anyway)
>
>    G-3 suffers the issue of functionality having been removed. Some of
> that can be recovered by installing additional extensions which live
> outside of gnome core.
>
>    KDE is polished and works quite well and has most if not all of the
> Gnomme 2 functionality in a stock install. So, yeh there is a learning
> curve but its not too bad. I have seen many switch away from Gnome 3,
> some to KDE and a few to the lighter DE's like xfce.

I just finished setting up KDE for more prominent use. I never liked it
as much as gnome since it has a more "sluggish" feel to it; however,
gnome 3 has managed to make KDE seem like a Godsend.

I had a fleeting moment of hope when I noticed "Classic gnome with
compiz" on my login screen. It ended up looking like gnome 2, but with
1/4 the actual functions of the latter. It's simply gnome 3 fallback
mode. I never figured out how to add icons to the taskbars or desktop,
if that is even possible. It's also nice to have a nice taskbar at the
bottom to flip from app to app quickly. The gnome 3 workspaces are
simply annoying. The tweak tool works, but doesn't reduce the annoyance
much. It simply adds an extra screen as a speedbump.

It would be nice if the "classic gnome" selection at the logon screen
was the actual classic gnome with the full panel functionality seen in
gnome 2.

GW