Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:38:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> Couldn't the developers have continued packaging GNOME 2 for at least
>> *one* release cycle so I could seriously try the new stuff but still
>> fall back to the old stuff when the new was confusing or troublesome?
>> Then I could get my feet wet with GNOME 3 and provide feedback while
>> still being able to get some work done.
>
> Err... they did. gnome-shell was packaged for, and testable in, F14.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be combative here, but...

How is a user supposed to know:

1. gnome-shell == GNOME 3?
2. gnome-shell is available in F14? I don't remember it being
mentioned in the release notes or any list of features.
3. gnome-shell will irreversibly replace what the user is familiar
with in the next release?

So, now having discovered all of the above, the user can install F14
and gnome-shell, try it there and provide feedback on that version?

Better to change the default system and keep the old system available
for a release cycle, rather than provide a virtually unadvertised
preview version up to the point that it becomes the default and the
old system is no longer an option.

-Alan