formatting SSD drives

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu Jun 9 11:48:45 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 12:37 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 09:06 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>   I'd appreciate any guidance on how I should partition a new intel 310
>> soda creek SSD drive ... I've googles a bit there are suggestions about
>> paritioning and using ext4 ..
>
> You may use ext4 or btrfs as they both support TRIM. Be sure to add the
> "discard" mount option to your /etc/fstab as it will not be automatic
> because there is fear by some kernel developers that some drives have
> bad TRIM performance. I have not seen this on consumer drives though and
> you will not have a problem with your brand new SSD.
>
> There is one catch. LUKS encrypted partitions do not support TRIM; even
> if they are ext4 or btrfs underneath. I would also say LVM and RAID do
> not support TRIM either, but as of 2.6.37, they both do.

   Thats very helpful thanks so much

  .. while I'll be putting F14 on this - I'll be using newer kernels -
2.6.39 and 3.0 once the dust settles a bit more.

    I used gparted to partition it - and set alignment to cylinder tho I
wasn't sure if that was preferable to MiB alignment - any thoughts on
alignment ?