formatting SSD drives

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu Jun 9 11:59:06 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 04:32 AM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> I would do it like this:
>
> [_____15 GB ext4 for /_____] [_______________the rest of space, ext4 for /home_______________]
>
> Then, after the installation, I'd add "discard", "noatime" and "nodiratime" options for / and /home:
>
> UUID=[some-long-number] / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 2
> UUID=[some-long-number] /home ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 1 1
>
> Noatime and nodiratime tell the system not to update last access time for files and folders correspondingly.

  This drive is actually mSata - which is to say it has a mini-pci
format and is used in addition to the normal hard drive - being small it
is much cheaper than replacing the entire hard drive - but its big
enough for root and opt and some /home for sure but not all.

  However, since I alsways enccyrpt /home and Michael pointed out that
TRIM wont work for LUKS maybe its best I dont use it for /home.

  My normal set up is encypted /home, /opt and swap.

  Then I bind mount /tmp and /var/tmp over /opt/tmp /opt/var/tmp so that
they are both encrypted too - I find it convenient not to encrypt root
for when things go bad and recovering can be simplified.

   Thanks for your suggestions .. I'll def set the atime flags.

  gene