How to make yum history show more than the last 20 transactions?

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 12:04:29 UTC 2011

Take my example. I have 137 yum history transactions on this server, the
first one from march 2010

Now that I have upgraded to FC15 I have made several updates, additions and
removals. (more than 20)

I wanted to look up the yum transaction where I did the system upgrade
(transaction 116) while tracking some bugs in my system, but the only way I
could do it was by

>yum history list 116

I found out it was that transaction number by going all the way from 100
forward, listing one by one until I found it out. instead of issuing 16 yum
history commands.

If I had a list 100-118 or something similar I could have found out the
transaction number in just one command.

Javier

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:45:04 -0500, JP wrote:
>
> > If I do yum history list $id I can list each transaction in yum,
> > if I do yum history I get the last 20
> >
> > How do I list an aleatory number, let say if I have 100 transactions I
> want
> > to see between id 50 and id 60
> >
> > It doesn't look like it is in the commands....
> >
> > from man yum:
> > history [info|list|packages-list|summary|redo|undo|new|addon-info]
>
> Stomach says such a config option isn't implemented because a use-case is
> missing. Recording the last _few_ transactions makes sense, as it can be
> helpful when chasing down some problem related to package installs. And 20
> looks like a sane default. Recording the last 100 transactions (or more)
> sounds questionable. IMO, at least.
>
> Perhaps you can expand on your scenario a bit?
> --

 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at gmail.com
 ~~~~     Javier Perez