Frequently have to restart pulseaudio on f14

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:13:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

After a while, there is frequent audio drop-out, particularly with vlc
when playing a downloaded AVI file. Is this a know problem, per
chance?

Killing pulseaudio fixes it for a while. This is on fedora14 x86_64
with all updates applied. There doesn't appear to be any relevant
error messages in the logs. this is my audio configuration:

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8410
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
        Memory at fe4f8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I also apparently have an audio controller on my video card, but it
isn't being used. Maybe this one is better? I don't see any audio
connectors on the video card. How do you connect it?

06:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon
HD 5700 Series]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device aa58
        Memory at fe9bc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1
Len=010 <?>
        Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Is there a GNOME application that will provide this information,
instead of through lspci? Something equivalent to the "Device Manager"
in Windows?

Thanks,
Alex