btrfs to be standard fs for Fedora 16?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 01:59:07 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 11:20 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> >From what I've seen in fs comparisons, btrfs is the slowest fs out there (
> http://www.ilsistemista.net/index.php/linux-a-unix/6-linux-filesystems-benchmarked-ext3-vs-ext4-vs-xfs-vs-btrfs.html as well as
> others).  Does it make sense that that is going to be the fs of choice for F16?
>
> Am I missing something very obvious?

A few things.  That benchmark is about six months old and will be over
an year old by the time Fedora 16 gets released.  There has been a lot
of development happening in between including performance improvements.
FESCo has a criteria for including Btrfs by default and if there isn't a
proper fsck, error handling etc, Fedora will postpone the move similar
to what happened with systemd in Fedora 14.   I am not sure that website
has any history of publishing good benchmarks and we will have to take
into account as well.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-June/151973.html

Rahul