Flash plugin stalls Firefox in Fedora 15

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:04:33 UTC 2011

Christian Kreibich wrote:

> I've upgraded a 64-bit test box from F14 to F15, and am not impressed.
> For starters, the 32-bit Flash plugin no longer works in Firefox. Most
> pages using it stall the browser for 10-15 seconds, then I get a
> black/grey rectangle. I've followed the instructions
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash to no avail, and I see no mentioning
> of this problem on the page. Others? Pointers?

I looked at that tutorial and it makes mention of nspluginwrapper, but never
tells you how to use it. I am not sure if this is the problem, but what I do
is install the flash plugin to the normal directory,
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins (note that I am using the experimental 64-bit
plugin, while you would install to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins).

Then, I run, as root (not sure if you need to cd /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins,
but it can't hurt, just in case):

mozilla-plugin-config -i

I am guessing that selinux blocks the flash content (selinux is always the
scapegoat, even if it is not at fault), because it is not wrapped, hence you
get the blank box. This should cure it. At least, it all works fine here :-)

Open about:plugins and you should see the flash plugin enabled. Alternately,
on the menu bar, click tools/addons/plugins.

You can edit /etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper to adjust to your needs, but I
have not bothered making changes here.

Hope this helps.