gnome3, thinkpad 510, switching monitor configurations

Charlie McVeigh cbmcveigh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:05:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 21:53 -0400, Adam Stokes wrote:
> Has anyone had any issues switching monitor configurations? Once
> docked I can mirror my displays but as soon as I try to disable my
> laptop video and primarily use the connected vga I just get a blank
> screen. I dont think its an xorg issue because within kde i can cycle
> through all monitor configurations without any issues.
>
> here is my xrandr output
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3520 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
> LVDS1 connected 1600x900+0+180 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 345mm x 194mm
>    1600x900       60.0*+   50.0
>    1024x768       60.0
>    800x600        60.3     56.2
>    640x480        59.9
> VGA1 connected 1920x1080+1600+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 530mm x 300mm
>    1920x1080      60.0*+
>    1600x1200      60.0
>    1680x1050      60.0
>    1280x1024      60.0
>    1440x900       59.9
>    1280x960       60.0
>    1280x800       59.8
>    1024x768       60.0
>    800x600        60.3     56.2
>    640x480        60.0
> HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>

> ( adam stokes ) || ( adam.stokes at gmail.com )

Adam-

I am experiencing the same issue with a Thinkpad T61 while docked.  My
problem started when I switched from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14.  The
problem also occurs when I boot from a Fedora 15 Live CD.

I have bee able to work around the problem by leaving my T61 lid open
while in the docking station.  I am able to get the VGA port to display
only if the lid is open.  Also the problem appears to be worse when
using the Nvidia display drivers vs. Nouveau drivers.

Strange issue indeed.

Charlie