Fedora 15 Network Printer Problems

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:48:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Bill <hb.cog.jil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings. I've recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. So far I'm
> pleased, though I'm having real difficulty detecting my network printer
> (which worked "automagically" under Linux Mint 10). I've searched
> Google, the Fedora documentation, the Fedora Forums - everything I can
> think of to no avail.
>
> I'm running Fedora 15 on a Dell XPS m1530 laptop (192.168.2.2), which is
> connected via modem/router to a network which includes my Dell Inspiron
> 530 desktop (192.168.2.3), which is currently running Linux Mint 11. My
> HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one is connected to the desktop via usb cable.

Since the printer is connected via usb cable to the desktop, then the desktop
has to have cups running, and allowing the printer to be shared on the
network.  Then the laptop should be able to see the desktop cups server.
In a browser on the desktop, got to
  http://localhost:631
which should bring up the cups web interface.  Click on printers, then on
printer itself, and it should say something like Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared.
That "Shared" is the important one.

> I've used the Fedora 15 system-config-printer and cups browser interface
> to attempt to get it working. Firewall has been adjusted to allow
> connection.

Do you mean the firewall on the desktop or the laptop.  Both need to allow
the cups on the client (laptop) to talk to the cups on the server (desktop).

> I installed hplip and have tried every driver available
> (including generic). I've tried every available ip address (http, https,
> ipp, socket and lpd) with various ports... no matter what I do the
> laptop will not detect the printer. (I even installed samba and tried
> connecting using a windows share.)

Perhaps you could try opening a browser window on the laptop and
going to:
  http://192.168.2.3:631
and the desktop cups server should answer, I think.

> I can ping the desktop successfully, ssh, sshfs... but I can not find
> the printer.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,