btrfs to be standard fs for Fedora 16?

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 10 19:52:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 12:03 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> I should probably mention that I am not a big LVM fan.

I am not a big fan of having LVM be the default on a home desktop or
laptop install. IMHO, in those cases it adds unneeded complexity. But it
has a lot of uses on big servers. Being able to keep some spare disk
space around and add it to whatever volume needs it (without having to
dump, repartition, and restore) has saved my butt several times. I also
like being able to use snapshots for backups; allows a clean backup to
be taken without having to take the machine out of service (but I found
out the hard way that snapshots only work if you have some free space
left in the volume group; if you have

--Greg