Google Earth anyone?

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:03:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:32:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Before moving to F15 I was running F11 with the nVidia drivers.
>
> With the current kernel and nVidia drivers the X server will lock up
> with 100% cpu usage when Google Earth is started....at least my system.

The NVidia forum has a lot of posts concerning lockups and artifacts with
Xorg-server 1.10. I've been fortunate enough to avoid them, but your
configuration may be significantly different.

I'm running an overclocked NVidia 7600 GS with a fully updated Fedora 15
system. I just ran Google Earth under Gnome 3 (haven't tried KDE yet),
and had no problems.

I am running the latest beta drivers directly from NVidia (275.09.04).
There have been some reports of errors if you're running an SMP kernel
(see the NVidia forum for details), but I've not seen any issues running
on an old 2.6 GHz P4.

In short, look at the NVidia forums at www.nvnews.net, and also try the
latest beta driver.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

However, I am using the latest beta drivers