Some questions on networking gateways

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 11 11:56:17 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>> You've checked that your new gateway isn't firewalling off your LAN?
>> That your gateway has IP-forwaring set?
>
> Thanks for all your advice.
> I'll study it carefully.

Someone (maybe it was personal email) thought I was being snide
in this response.
Not so; I always find "Tim"s advice useful and helpful.

However, in this case I was departing that day for a 2 month visit
to a far country (Italy), and had to decide whether to leave my home system
in the possibly sick state it was currently in
(the partition table on the server having been destroyed,
and re-built on theoretical grounds),
or change servers before leaving.
I decided on the former, the server having worked without re-booting
(the point at which my theoretical calculation would be put to the test)
for 6 months, so the probability it will continue for 2 more is quite high.
I hope.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net