emacs GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection after preupgrade F12->F14

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 17:01:54 UTC 2011

My first ever attempt  preupgrade;  F12 to F14
I muddled through it and eventually able to boot F14:
$ uname -r
2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686.PAE

In general looks ok;
I had to change hostname manually after booting F14.

But, now, occasionally when starting emacs as root
getting error:[root at f12 grub]# emacs grub.conf &
[1] 3976
[root at f12 grub]# **
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed:
(connection->initialization_error == NULL)
^C
[1]+  Aborted                 (core dumped) emacs grub.conf
[root at f12 grub]#

sometimes emacs doesn't Abort instead following Warning:
[root at f12 grub]#
(emacs:4048): GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a
child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD
was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a bug
in the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status,
or don't set the SIGCHLD action.
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Abnormal
program termination spawning command line `dbus-launch
--autolaunch=894d3a077438c888999482d14bdb83d5 --binary-syntax
--close-stderr': )

That is no help to me; my F14 stays up, network ok.
(Those " [root at f12.."  above,  before I manually changed hostname.)

Often emacs as root works with no sign of trouble.

The preupgrade had some trouble late in packages install step,
something "metadata repomd ...missing"
I was able to find the upgraded fc14  vmlinuz,etc
and then reboot to F14.

Any advice?
Is this evidence of serious trouble in my new f14?

Jack