/var/log/messages is empty

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 03:09:03 UTC 2011

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 22:06:06 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> All the same, I can't help wondering why this wasn't considered a
> blocker, given that it was known about before F15 was released.

QA called it a "nice to have".  I think they thought it was going to
be fixed in a zero-day update:

    http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100151.html

> In fact
> it's not even mentioned in the Release Notes.

Yeah, again, I think they thought it was taken care of.

> The upshot is that many people are running systems with a bug that
> they'll only notice when they need to look at a log and it's not there.
> In my case I lost three weeks worth of /var/log/messages.
>
> Note that a simple yum update does not fix this.

That's true for the pioneers.  :-)

At least the QA folks want to make sure it doesn't happen again:

    http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-May/100126.html

--
Garry Williams