Upgraded F14 -> F15, now how do I use this?

Gary Waters linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 12 10:41:34 UTC 2011

On 06/11/2011 07:44 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> Someone who asks what to do without having read the relevant postings
>> needs do some homework, that's all. Fedora is a bleeding-edge system and
>> no-one can expect to handle a version transition without at least
>> keeping an eye on this list.
>
> I don't agree.
> Whoever distributes the new version should include some file
> explaining how to use it (preferably), or where to look for information.
>
> Also I don't think this "bleeding-edge" attribute is an excuse
> for a lack of documentation.

Documentation takes time to produce and new fedora releases occur quite
frequently, reducing said time factor to virtually nothing; furthermore,
when I download a *free* operating system my first expectation is to not
expect documentation. Since I haven't paid a cent for the OS, and many
of the people who develope the latter undoubtedly do so in their free
time and/or without monetary compensation, I feel that I am in
absolutely no position to impose any expectations.

I expect to have to do some googling once documentation begins trickling
out subsequent to the OS release. I also expect I will find answers on
this list. My gnome 3 itch was scratched by people on this list who
suggested XFCE, which solves my problem. It is really nice. I doubt I
would have found this solution in any form of pre-released
documentation. The realtime documentation on this list is based upon
firsthand experience.

That being said, I must say that I do appreciate the time and effort put
into fedora by its developers. I always have fun which each release that
I choose to install and always manage to learn something.

GW