screensaver password fails first time, every time!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 12 14:39:39 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 10:35 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here has seen this behavior... I lock my screen
> when I get up (Fedora 15 running XFCE and Xscreensaver) and when I come
> back 99.999% of the time, I have to try twice to unlock the console. I
> *know* I'm entering the password correctly, but it still comes up as
> "authentication failed." If I immediately turn around and try again it
> works. Same password, just a second attempt.

Well, I've seen this behavior on my system...but it is probably for a
different reason.

I've got an HP wireless USB mouse/keyboard.  When I leave it alone for
an extended period the first typed character goes "missing".  Realized
this when the number of * didn't match number of times I typed a character.