Unable to fix label of /run: read-only file system.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 14:41:16 UTC 2011

On 6/12/11 2:12 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
> 2011/6/12 James McKenzie<jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com>:
>
>> You can't.  The filesystem is marked as RO.  Is this a CD/DVD media?  If
>> it is NOT, you have to mount the media as Read-Write so that the label
>> can be updated.
>>
>> James.
> No, this started after I upgraded from f14 to f15. My grub entry says:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64 ro
> root=UUID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX rhgb quiet SYSFONT=XXXXXXXXX
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=XX
> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.8-31.fc15.x86_64.img
>
> and It's been like this since f10 I think. I saw that when I boot from
> livecd/-dvd I didn't get those messages.
>
> However during the boot process there is a messages saying
> "...remounting root fs read-write...". Should I change the grub entry
> (delete the ro) and if so what'll be the impact of this? Why was "ro"
> passed to the kernel in the first place, anayway?
The kernel is first mounted read only so that it can be validated as not
corrupt and then remounted as read-write if it passed the check.  I
would not change this unless you are certain that the kernel will never
become corrupted.  This does not happen with the Live-CD as the media is
assumed to be read-only and that the mount process is to memory, not
physical media.

James McKenzie