Adieu, Fedora

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 22:36:16 UTC 2011

On 6/13/11, Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> Considered XFCE and LXDE instead, but
> decided the best option was to abandon the Desktop GUI environment
> all-together in favor of a well-featured window manager, simple launch bar
> for most used apps, floating menus for the others, and a terminal or two.  I
> don't really need all the other crap.  Not even 3D.

Welcome to the club :-) I never understood what these desktop
environments give mankind that a window manager doesn't. But then I
never "launch" programs; they are either running all the time
(Firefox, Emacs, &c) or are started from the command line (mplayer,
xpdf, ...). (I'm nevertheless using Xfce on a netbook, because I was
too lazy to fight the system :-))

> My primary choice is Debian 6, 64-bit, and Openbox.  I've been testing both
> in VirtualBox for a few months.  So far, so good.

I think the difference between running a distro virtualized and on
your real computer is like the difference between dating someone and
marrying her :-) But I hope it turns out well for you!

Good luck,

Andras