Adieu, Fedora

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 02:20:35 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 03:08 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> It's been a nice ride these past 7 years with Fedora as my primary OS, but it's time to move on.  My current and future needs are for a support life measured in years, not months.  And CentOS and Scientific Linux didn't fulfill my other requirements.  Neither did the Rolling Release distros:  At some point, support for older hardware must be dropped to make way for new, and the old system "breaks."  I can't have that.
>
> So, with the release of 15 (I'm still using 12), which would have traditionally been my next upgrade, my decision was finalized.  GNOME 3 was really what did it.  After using it for a while to get familiar with it, I decided I just didn't like it.  And KDE is still a resource gluten--the primary reason I left it years ago.  Considered XFCE and LXDE instead, but decided the best option was to abandon the Desktop GUI environment all-together in favor of a well-featured window manager, simple launch bar for most used apps, floating menus for the others, and a terminal or two.  I don't really need all the other crap.  Not even 3D.
>
> My primary choice is Debian 6, 64-bit, and Openbox.  I've been testing both in VirtualBox for a few months.  So far, so good.
>
> I'll still keep an eye on Fedora for old time's sake.  And 12 will stay on the system as a back up.  So, it's not exactly farewell, just . . .
>
> Auf Wiedersehen,

As was stated in a recent response on this list, Fedora is always in
test mode, so
will always change rapidly.

You will find that Debian uses very old releases of kernel and user apps
and libs,
thus much of the new advances are not available for it from it's vanilla
repos.
Also, if you are looking for support over many years, are you sure that
it is actively
supported and new bugs fixed in this release version you have chosen?