Adieu, Fedora

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 03:56:27 UTC 2011

On 6/12/11 8:15 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/12/2011 10:26 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Marketing is what is it is all about.  You could make the best gizmo in
>> the business, but if you cannot get folks to use it, you just wasted
>> your time and alot of someone else's money.   This happened with OS/2
>> when Microsoft introduced WindowsNT 3.1.
>    Marketing is great - we all agree - problem is there is a different
> between marketing a useful, clean wonderful tool and a smelly pile of
> annoying poo ...
>
>    From user feedback so far - F15 with Gnome shell and quite a bit of
> brokenness associated with the introduction of systemd may not be (is
> not?) ready to market.
I will agree that systemd is seriously broken.  I don't get the
connection between it and the UI, Gnome3.  Does Gnome3 need/desire
systemd?  If so, then it is not ready for market.  It is not nice to
force users to go from one broken OS to another...(Vista
non-withstanding, it is a pile of concentrated dog-poo of the ME variety
only higher.)
>    Change for change sake, of course, is a slow path to where you were
> last time you turned around ... :-)
Change should be a good thing, and well thought out and superbly
executed.  And Fedora is and will remain a testing ground for 'things
RedHat, in the future'.  I'm glad that this was caught at this level and
not by production users.

>    I do have high hopes for F16 - tho many seem to fear that systemd may
> not get the love it needs for such a core component - I am hopeful it
> will ...
And if it is needed, it must receive much 'love' from what I read here
in the User's list.

I don't expect to see much from Fedora 15 for at least another year or
so.  Maybe Gnome3 will be added to RHEL 6.2, but that is a ways off.

James McKenzie